8/27/07

DIY Volume Pedal

Since I saw Son Volt's guitarist, Chris Masterson's awesome volume pedal work I've been trying to find a cheap volume pedal. Then started talking to my bass player (amp builder, pedal tweaker) about suggestions, he said I didn't have enough room on my pedal board for a pedal the size of a volume pedal.
I do have a Dunlop Crybaby, and now I have found the schematics for Turning My Cry Baby into a Volume / Wah combo! Wow I can't believe how excited I am about this... I'm sure whomever is reading this is on the edge of their seat.

I will keep you posted on how it goes / sounds.



UPDATE: TA requested a picture of my current pedal board set up... NOTE: I did not have a picture so I put one together using paint brush. The graphics are not as cool as they are on GuitarGeek.com (if you have not checked out this site - it's pretty cool - don't think it has been updated in the past few years).

So there you are TA - my pedal board - (I'll give you a minute to let the goosebumps go down) as you can see there is no room for a addl volume pedal.

And before any of you give me any shit for the wireless, you have to understand that my band does not have a sound man and it's important to be able to get off stage and see how things sound... See how things sound? HEAR how things sound. Sometimes I will run wireless from my pedal board to my amp to avoid a chord frenzy.

6 comments:

Tony Alva said...

"...he said I didn't have enough room on my pedal board for a pedal the size of a volume pedal."

You can't say things this and NOT post s photo of it! Out all the pedal boards I've seen in my life, Randy Rhodes was the most awe inspiring. Good luck with the conversion. If it involves soldering, then you are a braver man than I.

Mike Lewis said...

I updated the post with graphic of pedal board...

just for you TA

Tony Alva said...

You gotta get the wah in there somehow for the coolness effect alone. You don't use a compressor huh?

Mike Lewis said...

I usually use compression, but currently a compressor is not in my arsenal.

In the market for one, do you have a spare lying around grey cat studios?

if not what is your recommendation?

Jackson said...

I recomend not using compression, it's really not necessary for gigging, and often folks end up cutting off the balls of their tone.


I'm sure you don't want ball-less tone.

When I read the 'not enough room' bit, my knee jerk reaction was to school you for using too many - after all, Schenker's only pedal was a Cry Baby, BUT, you really don't have too much going on there. It's much more sensible then a lot of the silliness I see far too often. I expect that you use the EQ mostly as a boost, which is sensible. For me, I'd swap out the Chorus for a Phase 90, but that's a taste issue - I'm kinda anti-chorus as I heard too much in the eighties (see Alex Lifeson).

All in all, I'd rather have less, less variables means less can go wrong, plus I just can't put too much attention to futzing around with pedals, as it hinders my leaping about like a maniac.

My most recent chain was Guitar-Big Muff-Amp.

Tony Alva said...

It's been a VERY long time since I played electric guitar in frint of anybody other than some guys on the other side of the glass, so I'll step into the back ground on the issue, but from my days when I was flanked by Marshall stacks on either side of me in a small room the old MXR floor compressors kept all that volume organized (and there was A LOT of volume). I never remember them stealing tone though.

When in the studio tracking guitar, I'm all about not incumbering the the signal chain at all on instruments/gear in front of the mic, prefering to perform all manner of spicing post tape.