10/12/07

RADIOHEAD - In Rainbows

I have listened to the new Radiohead CD 4 times in the last 30 hours or so and I love it.

Being a long time Radiohead fan I knew I would like it. I was not happy with "Hail to the Thief" - "in Rainbows" is more reminiscent of "Kid A" or "OK Computer".

Here's my critic quote,

"Great Driving CD - I don't mean the beats are hard driving beats, I mean this is a great CD to listen to while driving your car. I suppose it would be a great "riding in a cab, bus, or friend's car" CD, perhaps if you just walk everywhere, it would be good for that as well.
Thom York is whiny and bitchy as ever, and that's what I love about him."
-Hue, Sharpie Propagandist, MotherGoldstein
song list:

15 step - Drums and Vocals intro - Great opener.

BodySnatchers - So far one of my favorites.

Nude - beautiful orchestral intro to this song - flows into a sweet clean guitar, bass, keys and drums - Thom's voice is incredible. This song reminds me of the song "Exit Music (For a Film)" from OK Computer.

Arpeggi - The clean guitar parts are hypnotic - the song builds into a sweet frenzy.

All I Need - Ahhhhhh yeah. This is smooth.

Faust ARP - You gotta love a song where the first words are, "Wakey Wakey rise and shine". Great acoustic guitar and strings - muttering, confusing lyrics... I love every second of it.

Reckoner - cool bass intro - Thom at his best. This song is right out of the RadioHead Playbook. This is another one of my favorites.

house of cards - very cool guitar tone opens this song. Another smooooooth tune.

jigsaw falling into place - textbook Radiohead song - the acoustic guitar sounds great.

Videotape- Great tune, but at this point the least favorite track.

I have to give this CD a 9 out of 10 (what ever the hell that is supposed to mean), not just based on the CD itself, but also on the way it was marketed. People who don't like or even listen to Radiohead have heard about the creative way this CD was sold (or in some cases given away).

Fans should own the music, artists should own the copyrights and the record companies can see what it feels like to get the short end of the stick for a change.

Radiohead "In Rainbows" is worth the $9.99 I flopped down and I recommend this CD to ANY Radiohead fans out there.

4 comments:

Jackson said...

I'm gonna pay 5.99, the price I paid for my first record back in 76.

Mike Lewis said...

You will totally get your $5.99 worth of falsetto radiohean-ness.

I really dig this CD, I had to take a drive around the city today and... WOW

At this point I can't say it is better than Kid A or OK Computer, but check me in a couple months

BTW apparently there are like 7 or 8 more bonus songs - I need to hear these.

Cup said...

After this post, I HAVE to get the album. Did you download it from their site? I keep meaning to do that ............

Jackson said...

The Bonus stuff comes with the Disc Box. I'm not a big enough fan to drop a hundred bucks on a record.