10/5/07

Guitar(s) of the Week: Remembering Leo

A majority of my Guitar of the Week" guitars have been Gibsons (V's, Les Pauls, SGs, and some acoustics).
Les Paul was only one of the fathers of Electric guitar - Leo Fender was another...

It's been 16 years since Leo Fender died, up until the time of his death he did what he loved. Built guitars and spent time with the loves of his life (strats and his wife Phyllis).

George Fullerton and Leo Fender (pictured) started G&L guitars back in 1980. Building guitars is an art and I'm proud to say the Art is still coming down the pipeline.

Here are my 3 Guitars of the Week All G&Ls... AND all under $2,500.00




ASAT Z-3 with 3 G&L Magnetic Field Design Z-coil pickups. Shown in Blue Metal Flake with matching headstock, 3-ply white pickguard and white covers. ***NOT AVAILABLE LEFTHANDED*** Sorry TA - but you CAN string it for a lefty (probably look even cooler upsidedown).

$1,500.00 - Play this and you may be cool enough to make it on Jackson's "coolest living Americans" list.



Next we have a twang-a-fide finger pickin beauty:

ASAT SEMI-HOLLOW WITH DUAL P90S - Maple neck with Polished Gloss finish over Hand-rubbed Gun-oil Tint (how cool does that sound - and look).
This model is available Left Handed.

Around $1,500.00 makes this a definite future collector piece.



Finally, how do you honor the woman you love? Easy build her a guitar and name it after her...

This beautiful guitar was made to honor Leo's main squeeze, The Phyllis Model: Blondie. Inspired by Leo's two loves, the original Fender Stratocaster and and his lovely bride, Phyliss Fender.
"As Honorary Chairperson of G&L, Phyllis Fender continues to be the company's spiritual and philosophical leader. Her mission is to ensure that G&L not lose sight of Leo's vision and passion for the instruments he loved and the musicians who play them. Phyllis reminds us that Leo thought of musicians as angels, and that the creation of instruments worthy of them is a noble deed."


Quantities are limited so go get your autographed copy of the Phyllis Fender G&L Blondie for - $2,250. Even Cooler when strung upside down for all you lefties, TA!

5 comments:

Tony Alva said...

When I first got the jones for a Tele back in the mid 80's, I was seriously bummed to discover that Fender lefties were both rare and stratopherically expensive. I was about to give up when I came across the G&L Tele. I was ready to plunk down my hard earned (not!) cash for one when I learned that Fender was making Japanese built '62 re-issues for cheap. Jackson and I both bought one, his in candy apple red, and mine in sunburst.

Some of those G&L models are worth some bucks now. As a matter of fact, just about any guitar built in the U.S. 10 years ago or more is now worth more than I can afford. Thank god I held onto all of mine. No matter how broke I've been in my life, I never sold a single guitar.

Mike Lewis said...

I wish I could say that - I sold an 82 heritage flying v in 1986 - they are worth 3500 to 5k now...

I had an opportunity to play some G&Ls lately and the p90 set up on the tele is truly amazing sounding.

Jackson said...

Leo, shit, he was a visionary.

I'm sure the G&Ls are sweet, I just don't think you can make a better guitar than a telecaster, or at least I don't think you can improve upon that design.

P90s are sweet, but I'd just buy a Jr. Wait, I did, in fact I bought two.

Tony Alva said...

I have a dream to sell my car and use the entire proceeds to buy guitars. Think the wife will be open to the idea?

Jackson said...

Sure, sell her car too. Tell her it's a climate change thing.