10/10/07

15 guitars all under $30,000

I love guitars, ever since I was a little ankle biter I HAVE LOVED GUITARS. My father was a professional musician, (played with Conway Twitty from the very beginning until his untimely death in 1976) we always had guitars laying around the house. I'm by no means a great guitar player - I don't exactly remember when I started playing - I always just remember being able to pick up an axe and start strumming at a very young age.

I'm what you call an enthusiast, I'm good enough to figure out songs, but not good enough to teach anyone how to play them (does that even make sense). I don't read music, I am not a shredder, and NOBODY gets chills down their back after I play a lead. I love to play and whoever sees or hears me play understands my love for guitars and music... that is good enough for me.

TA made an interesting comment on my last Guitar of the Week post -

"I have a dream to sell my car and use the entire proceeds to buy guitars. Think the wife will be open to the idea?"

That comment got me thinking, what would I buy if I had a lump sum to dump on ONLY GUITARS? So I have been compiling lists... these first lists are all "NEW guitars" separated by price.

Here we go: 5 guitars under $1,000.00, 5 guitars between $1,000 and $2,500, and 5 guitars $2,501 and up... I tossed in an acoustic in each list for good measure.
If I could afford all these guitars I would purchase ALL THESE GUITARS.

This list was so fun to compile...

0-$1000


Gretch Electromatic Hollow Body with Bigsby Tremelo

$850
This Guitar comes in 5 colors, Silver Sparkle (pictured) is my favorite. True 50s feel and sound for less than 1k.

Gibson SG Classic with 3 Single Coil Pick ups

$949 - Sexy burst finish and the 3 single coil sound - for less than a Mexican Strat - you get a beautiful American made rock and roll warhammer!
note: this is the closest thing you will find to a Stratocaster - Remember, these are all new guitars, and in my opinion the best for the money (sorry, Fenders don't make that list these days).


Gibson Les Paul Menace

$850
100% "In your face" Les Paul, no pick guard, but Gibson added many little aesthetic extras to make this a great use of $850. BTW that is a pearl inlay of a "fist" nestled in the 5th fret.


Gibson SG Classic with P90s

$899
A few years back the good folks at Gibson released the Pete Townsend signature model, which was this guitar with prettier inlays, and a tremelo... For 3k less, I will take this one. The P90s make this Guitar - Total retro.


Martin Alternative X Electric Acoustic

$899 - Dig the aluminum top. Nothing like 99.9% of the stuff that comes out of Nazareth, PA. All I have to say is, Martin Guitar / Resonator, Less than 1K.


$1,000 to $2,500



Gibson Les Paul BFG

$1,000
This Guitar has been blogged about, P90 / Zebra Humbucker with the unique wiring set up... Rock and roll beast!


Gibson Les Paul with 50s style neck

$1,500
Semi hollow Les Paul, extremely lite weight is the first thing that comes to mind when strapping this thing on. Zebra Humbuckers rock the house. Not everyone like the 50s style neck, its a little thicker than what most people are used to.
Not exactly the canoe ore feel of the 70's telecaster, but similar.

Gibson Billie Joe Armstrong Les Paul Jr.

$1,500
1 tone, 1 volume, 1 P90. Blues/Rock 101.


Gretch 120 Anniversary

$2,300
If you do anything for a 120 years and you are still in the business, you must be doing something right. This guitar is an instant collector, truly 50s - Toaster top pick-ups and the Bigsby Tremelo. This is Guitar, quite simply is the grandson of the Guitars that created the Rock and Roll sound. Rock and Roll History - 101.


Gibson L-200 Emmlou Harris Electric Acoustic

$2,500
Sounds as beautiful as it looks - and another Instant collector.


$2,500 and up


Gibson Custom Shop DG-335 Dave Grohl

$2,800
I think this Guitar is really exciting. I have long been a big fan of the 335, this one has just been re-tooled. Slamming Humbuckers, retro (Fender-esqe) headstock, and custom inlays.
Grohl is a "tone chaser" and doesn't just stick with the Les Paul sound... this Guitar is like, "Lucille, 2007".

Gibson Custom Shop Johnny A

$4,300
This Guitar is one the nicest things I have ever played


Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Jr. John Lennon Instant Karma

$4,900 - Instant Collector, This guitar will double it's worth in 5 years.

Gibson 57 Custom Shop Les Paul Black Beauty

$4,700
I'm not sure if this is one of those mid age crisis things but if it is, this is MY sports car at 41 years old. This Les Paul has everything I want PLUS 3 Humbuckers. In my humble opinion, this is THE quintessential Les Paul Guitar/Conversation Piece.


Gibson SJ-200 Electric Acoustic

$3,300 (note: you could go for the Townsend signature model for around $800 more, however ANY SJ-200 will hold it's value)

There you have it approximately $30,000.00 worth of Guitars you can find at your local guitar store.

I will be busy compiling a list of vintage guitars for part 2 of this post.

3 comments:

Tony Alva said...

Great post!!!

"I'm what you call an enthusiast, I'm good enough to figure out songs, but not good enough to teach anyone how to play them (does that even make sense). I don't read music, I am not a shredder, and NOBODY gets chills down their back after I play a lead. I love to play and whoever sees or hears me play understands my love for guitars and music... "

Couldn't be a better description of myself as well. The Gibson SJ-200 has been on my list for a year now. It will more than likely be my next purchase the next time I've got $3K to burn (could be a long time). I've recently reconnected with an old pal who is a magnificant bass player, but has recently picked up the Dobro. He's getting quite good at it and I'm thinking about jumping on a resonator guitar. Not a square neck like his, but a round neck. You can actually get one for a reasonable price. Check this out...

http://www.bryansmusic.com/Regal.htm

I'm thinking about jumping on the blue one. My friends got one of these and it sounds dreamy. Not bad at all for a sub $400 axe. Just got to get the boss to green light it (again, could be a long time).

Mike Lewis said...

I'm currently working on my vintage guitar dream list - Bass Dream list - and lap steel/resonator list.

I've plucked around on a "Texas Tea" model - The powder coat finish on that guitar makes it very unique. for an extra $150 I think it would carry it's worth longer... and that finish is just sexy - it looks like a rusted out old pick up truck (tow mader).

Jackson said...

You can have all the signature models, I just want the SG w/ P90's, the 50's style Les Paul, the two Gretschs, and a bunch of others not listed.

I await the bass list.