10/18/07

Autism News: Autistic Hiker Found Alive in West Virginia!

As a parent of boy with Autism I was very happy when I read This Story.

Having a child who is lost is frustrating and heart wrenching for anyone, but when you have a kid who doesn't respond to their own name you can imagine how crazy these parents must of felt. Add to the mix a fear of crowds, hyper sensitivity, and not having the ability (or social skills) to do something as simple as call for help.

Every time my wife and I saw this on the news or talked about it we had a very hard time holding back the tears. This is one of our biggest fears.

"The family is all together," search group spokesman Chris Stadelman said. "As soon as they heard the report he was alive and doing fairly well, they gathered in a prayer circle."
This story ended great, most of the time it doesn't.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Allen family, you will be hard pressed to find a happier, more thankful group of people tonight.

2 comments:

Cup said...

I didn't know you had a child with autism. I'm up in the mountains on an office retreat, so I had not heard this news story until the boy was found. My heart ached for that family. I can't imagine the hell they experienced.

Tony Alva said...

Thank god they found this kid. My worst nightmare...