9/19/07

Let's Talk About Speaker Cabinets!

Lately, I have been exploring the idea of downsizing my speaker cabinet.

Currently, I'm using a slant 4 x 12 Marshall JCM 800 1960a with the 75 watt Celestians. Great cabinet - too damn heavy and bulky for my need.

Looking for 2 x 12 or even a 1 x 12 - not sure exactly what I want to do, that is why I have started the exploration team... YOU, READER (all 6 of you).

1 x 12 may well do the trick, especially if the cabinet is a convertible (ability to make run open back or closed back).

Cabinets without speakers can run over $100 - add a speaker and the next think you know your $200 plus into a small speaker cab.

Craig's list has not been a big help as everyone is selling 4 x 12.

Here are my options as I see it...



Option 1
Epiphone makes solid 1x12 extension cabinet for the Valve Junior. The cabinet sounds great with the 16 ohm Eminence Lady Luck 70 watt Speaker.
The open back design can be easily modified to put in a removable cover for the open back. At around $100 it is almost impossible to find a better deal on a brand new speaker cab, especially one that sounds this good.

Oh did I mention it is weighs less than my 4x12?


Option 2
Find someone who can build me a 1 x 12 speaker cab Cheap (and by cheap, I mean I will buy the wood and a 12 pack of beer... I have someone in mind for this project) - then pop in a Eminence Texas Heat Speaker (for less than $70) - add wiring and input (Another $20). When it's all said and done I be paying more than I would with Option 1.


Option 3
Craig's list... I have seen 2x12s on craigslist for as little as $175 - but craigslist can sometimes be a real crap shoot.


Option 4
HEY, DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE AN OLD 2X12 OR 1X12 CABINET YOU WANT TO GET RID OF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

1 comment:

Tony Alva said...

Those 4 x 12 cabinets don't roll well in the snow either. Maybe little cabinet wheel tire chains perhaps?

Again, Jackson has the longer resume for playing out, but in my experience single speaker cabinets sound like dookie. Twin cabs seem to do alright though.