11/19/07

Look Me In The Eye!

Anyone who knows me, knows I am a proud father of a young man with Autism, as well as an obvious advocate for the cause.
This morning on The KQ Morning Show, Tom and the crew interviewed John Elder Robison, author of, Look Me In The Eye, a story about growing up with Asperger's Syndrome.
It was a great interview and I am excited to read the book. Mr. Robison is quite the interesting cat, older brother of Augusten Burroughs, "Running With Scissors". After quitting high school, John started tinkering with music instruments, he eventually ended up on the road with KISS. He designed Ace Frehley's signature "smoking Les Paul" as well as other Stage instruments.

From building guitars to designing games for "Milton Bradley", John Elder Robison has had an interesting life. I'm very excited to read his book. His blog is very inspirational as well.

5 comments:

Dave Cavalier said...

I think another book you might enjoy (although I suspect you have heard about it) is "Born on a Blue Day" by Daniel Tammet. It was just an immensely moving and interesting book, mostly because he writes in such a straightforward, unsentimental way.

The discussions of his mathematical abilities are very interesting, but his ability to describe the way in which people on the autistic spectrum experience and are often frustrated by simple social interaction was very eye-opening. Really wonderful book.

Mike Lewis said...

Thanks for the suggestion, I have not read that book, however I will be ordering with I order this one.

Tony Alva said...

When I first saw Ace's smoking guitar back in the sixth grade, I knew nothing was cooler than rock and roll music. The guy deserves to be in the RRHOF in my mind.

My wife read Running w/Scissors and while she was reading it, would read aloud passages that I would listen to with utter disbelief. I didn't know the dude had a brother.

Cup said...

I'll have to pick it up. A good friend has a son with Asperger's, so I like to keep informed.

Happy Thanksgiving, doll!

Jackson said...

I'd like to comment on the actual content of your post, but man, that Ace photog is the bomb. Just can't get past it.